Thursday, February 08, 2007

The New Blogger

After months of avoiding it, bloody Blogger rudely forced me to switch! The wankers! I was annoyed to discover that I had to create a new Google account, because my old one is already associated with other blogs and I'm always signed into it for my mail. And since you can't be signed into two accounts at once with the same browser, I'm forced to use Opera to sign into my new Google account for blogging. Opera's not too bad, but it's a bit clunky in some ways and the javascript / cookie management system isn't as good as with Firefox and its extensions.

I digress... back to the new Blogger - despite the inconvenience caused during the switch, I'm quite happy with it. The main improvement is that it seems much faster than before, which is great news. The interface is familiar but slicker, with a bit more functionality like the ability to see comments associated with blogs. The 'label' system is also pretty cool for organizing posts. Best of all, because of the more solid Google accounts system (which is more adept at warding off spam accounts), the annoying CAPTCHA crap is no longer forced upon me when I post comments.

All in all, there's a slight annoyance involved in using a different browser, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. For people who don't use Google accounts normally, the benefits are such that making the choice to switch should be a no-brainer.

No comments: