Wednesday, April 25, 2007

ZX Spectrum Celebrates 25 Years

The BBC has an article celebrating the 25th anniversary of the ZX Spectrum, the hugely successful and influential home computer created by Sinclair Research. The ZX Spectrum was a hit in the UK and ushered in an age of home computing and home computer programming.

I had one of these... well, the whole family did. It was pretty cool, with programs loaded off of and saved to audio tapes (there were bleeping sounds during loading, sort of like dial up modems, and colour patterns on the screen). I used it for gaming, not anything productive, although I did 'write' some basic games by copying game code out of books. Dammit, I was a kid! Not that I'd do much different today either. The Spectrum was a small and quite stylish piece of kit. The rubber keyboard was a bit difficult to use though, and as I recall keys would get stuck. Ah, the good old days (that's the second time in two days I've used that expression!). Anyway, it's a significant and cool piece of computing history, and it deserves to be celebrated.

No comments: