Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Moffat to Launch Thundering Typhoons!

British screenwriter Steven Moffat will be penning the forthcoming Tintin trilogy of films, which I wrote about a few months ago. Apart from having two great directors in the form of Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson, this project now has a great screenwriter as well.

Alright, so he doesn't have the pedigree of those two, but what I know of his work bodes well. Moffat created and wrote the hilarious and very sharply written BBC comedy series Coupling (which I'm watching right now), for one thing. For another, he also wrote some of the most acclaimed episodes of the new Doctor Who series, including one of my favourites from the first season, which I wrote about here; one of his episodes was the one I mentioned in my review, about the boy with the gas mask melded to his face! Also, Doctor Who has that meld of adventure, comedy and drama as well as that whimsical feel that is perfectly suited to Tintin, which makes a good writer from that show all the more fitting. Moffat was also involved in a new BBC series called Jekyll, based on the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story, which I don't know much about but am now very interested in seeing.

So the Tintin movies now have a darn good writer behind them... This project suddenly looks even more exciting.

No comments: