Thursday, November 15, 2007

Starship Troopers (1997)

Starship Troopers (1997)

Quick review (though I suppose since I'll be sure to watch this again, I can review it properly later! How I love these trapdoors I can use to escape from my self imposed blogging obligations!) - Paul Verhoeven's violent adaptation of Robert Heinlein's book apparently strays from its source material considerably (yeah, another classic on my 'to read' list), but is a remarkable film nonetheless. Part action film, part horror, and part comedy, Starship Troopers is a thrilling and entertaining satire that tells the tale of a future in which the military of a fascistic planet Earth wages war against an alien race of giant insects. It's gory and funny, which makes for an odd mix, and its lampooning of fascism and the militarism come on thick and fast. The bizarre cast is effective in a tongue in cheek way (Casper Van Dien?), and the action sequences are spectacular, helped along by some tremendous special effects that have aged quite well. Basil Poledouris' excellent bombastic score is the icing on the cake. An excellent and strangely underrated film.

No comments: