Monday, September 18, 2006

Weekend Movie Roundup (June 16-18)

I created a 'marker' draft of this post way back on the 20th of June, and the following three lines are all it contained.
Dragonslayer (1981)
The Untouchables (1987)
The Descent (2005)

And then I stopped blogging for a while - I was a little busy and didn't have time to update, and when I finally found the time I was no longer in the mood for blogging. Fast forward nearly three (!) months to earlier this morning. There I was, twiddling my thumbs when my idle brain suddenly conjured up a thought - 'what about the blog?'. I sign in to Blogger and what do I find? A couple of old drafts sitting around, begging to be completed. Unfortunately, the passage of time has lessened the relevance of the topic that was to be discussed in this post, so I'll be ultra-brief.

Dragonslayer - Surprisingly watchable fantasy flick from the early 80s... probably one of the best of the era, especially when put alongside other dubious 'classics' like The Beastmaster and Red Sonja. The production values hold up well, the acting ain't bad, and the dragon effect looks good even today (for the most part). Look out for Emperor Palpatine in a small role.

De Palma's The Untouchablesis a classic. Costner, Connery, Deniro, and everyone else is top-notch. It may be a bit whimsical and stray from the facts at times, but is still thrilling, funny, and moving. As you may have guessed, I loved it...

And then there's The Descent, a film that's been getting so many rave reviews and which has been called "the scaries movie since Alien" or some such nonsense. It's nowhere near as good as that. It is brutal and scary (mostly by resorting to the 'sudden loud noise' syndrome), but poorly acted and written. Underwhelming.

No comments: