Thursday, November 09, 2006

Batman Forever Bad

I haven't seen Batman Forever in around 10 years. I remember not liking it much, but after seeing Batman and Robin my memory somehow reassessed it as being 'alright'. My memory is totally and utterly wrong. To call it a poor movie is to be too kind, but I'm feeling generous. It's a poor movie. It's only marginally better than Batman and Robin, but then again I haven't seen that cinematic abomination in some time either. Perhaps Batman and Robin is so much worse that Forever actually seems decent in comparison. Whatever the case may be, I'm certain that I'm not masochistic enough to inflict Batman and Robin upon myself to find out. Val Kilmer, Nicole Kidman, Tommy Lee Jones, all actors capable of so much better. Joel Schumacher and Akiva Goldsman really drove this franchise into the ground - watching this film just reminds me of how miraculous Christopher Nolan's resuscitation of the franchise was. To bring Batman back from such an embarrassing low to the high of Batman Begins was a bravura achievement.

One other false memory I vanquished while watching this relates to Jim Carrey. His "crazy zany" shtick was appalling. I remember being amused by his other movies at the time, but my taste has become discerning enough that I suspect I won't be revisiting them any time soon.

To finish this post, I present to you with what I found to be the most memorable ludicrous image from the film. Picking this was not easy, believe me... this was but a grain of sand from the unending sandy beach of ludicrous images that is Batman Forever!

2 comments:

sanity index said...

LOL. What possessed you to rewatch it?

For the longest time, I couldn't stand Jim Carrey. His comedy skill was always appalling and over-the-top, and I couldn't understand why he was such a famous actor. But then "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" totally changed my mind about him. Well, at least for that film.

Antimatter said...

I don't know... I hadn't seen it in a while, and I somehow thought it would be dumb fun. I have no excuse. :(

Yeah, Carrey was great in Sunshine, and also in the underrated Truman Show... He should stick to more serious fare - I've heard he's good in The Majestic as well. :)