Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Ubuntu installed!

After some ranting and some more ranting, I finally installed Ubuntu Linux (Edgy Eft) on my home PC, on a partition I had left in advance many moons ago. The last version I tried was Dapper Drake, which didn't support my graphics card. Fortunately, Edgy Eft does (though still not very well), and the installation process was a breeze in the end, with the whole process clocking in at under an hour (including taking a few quick backups and double checking my MBR backup).

I haven't played around with it much yet, and my first order of business will be to upgrade it to the latest version, Frisky Fox. I mean, Fiesty Fawn. I've already run into a couple of problems though. Upon installation, there were numerous updates available that amounted to over 200 MB of downloads. I decided to break the update process down into two sessions (each comprising a number of updates) to save time because my Net connection isn't that fast. Both times the Window manager got screwed up after completing the update, requiring me to reset. Not sure what caused it, but it was annoying. The second problem was with the graphics - I may need to do some additional configuration, but at the moment the GUI is quite sluggish; a driver update may be necessary to improve things. Hopefully upgrading to Fiesty will resolve this issue. The final problem is with the GRUB boot loader, which allows you to select which operating system to load during boot. It's supposed to have a time out, and the GRUB configuration file is set up correctly, but the time out doesn't work, which means I have to manually press enter to load my default OS!

I'll have to resolve these problems after upgrading to Fiesty, assuming they're not resolved by the upgrade and any subsequent updates. After that, I can actually start mucking about and see what Ubuntu has to offer, and what I can and can't do with it. It looks pretty slick so far, with a clean interface and logical menu organization (though I'd already noticed this when using the live CD).

No comments: