Monday, July 07, 2008

Medium - Season 2 (2005-2006)


(Image from Amazon)


Medium - Season 2 (2005-2006)

I wrote a fairly comprehensive review of Medium's first season, and really so little changes in the second that there's nothing new to say. It's business as usual. Which is actually something of a problem when the first season was already threatening to be formulaic; now, it unquestionably is. All of the pluses are still there, and it's certainly very well made, but it is undeniably 'comfort TV', the type of show where you know exactly what you're going to get with no surprises. The plot twists lack any real zing. I still enjoyed it, but when there's no overall story arc or change in the formula, it becomes repetitive pretty fast. Especially when there are 22 episodes in the season! The show is good enough to warrant watching another season (I think), but if the creative team don't shake things up a little in Season 3, I can't imagine staying around for the fourth...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you think this one is repetitive (which I quite agree by the way), then I suggest you to stay away from Ghost Whisperer, which basically has the same stories, plots, even dialogues every weeks, just different background stories and supporting actors.
The last season they tried to go to different direction, though, but still too cheesy and unbelievable.
What I like more about Medium (compares to Ghost Whisperer), it tells story about psychic/supernatural kind of stuff but seemed more realistic.
I won't spoil about what would happen with the last season of Medium, but I suggest you to hang on a little while, because the story ahead in quite different way, but without losing their identity.
OFF TOPIC : If you happen to wonder where's Miedy.Com, it'll be back as soon I got my first paycheck ;)

Antimatter said...

Thanks for the tip, I've never been even remotely tempted by Ghost Whisperer, which looks pretty bad to be honest.

Might check out season 3, but later. Got a lot of other stuff lined up to watch!

Yeah I was wondering about what happened to your site, figured it was something to do with payments! :)